Sea Change Farm & Flower is a small-scale, woman-run flower farm in Accord, NY.
We are in our sixth growing season, and we use organic and no-till growing methods. We’re the tiniest bit witchy, leaning into home-brewed KNF inputs and the biodynamic calendar.
We mainly sell our flowers wholesale (to florists) and for weddings. We strive to create a welcoming and safe working environment for all, with clear and open communication.
We welcome team members of all genders.
We are looking for a new person to join the Sea Change farm crew!
This is a unique opportunity in that it involves traditional farming work as well as floral arranging “studio” work. We are a very small team so we each play a lot of roles. Preferably, you’ll have at least 1 season of experience with farming or landscaping type work under your belt–we will also train you and teach you about the flowers we grow.
This is a part-time position starting in March 2024 and continuing through November 2024. Start and end dates are flexible.
This position is 3 or 4 days per week depending on your needs, with our preferred work days being Tuesday – Friday. We will work a 7-hour workday most days, with 30 minutes paid time for lunch (which we tend to eat all together). Our start time shifts with the seasons, beginning at 9am in the cooler months, then shifting up to 7 or 7:30 am in the hottest parts of summer.
Given the right fit, we would ideally continue working with you beyond the 2024 season, and this role could evolve into one with more leadership opportunities.
Field tasks will include:
- Starting seeds
- Managing seedlings
- Building no-till beds
- Carrying heavy materials
Studio tasks will include:
- Assembling bouquets
- Processing flower stems
- Washing buckets
- Packing wholesale orders
- Creating flower arrangements for weddings
We are ideally looking for somebody who:
- Is committed to joining us for the full farm season (March – November)
- Is open to the idea of joining us for multiple seasons
- Has prior farming or landscaping experience (1+ year preferred)
- Enjoys working outside in all weather
- Enjoys flowers!
- Is interested in flower arranging (whether experienced or not)
- Is comfortable performing physically strenuous work
- Has great communication skills
- Takes direction well and is an eager learner
- Is punctual and reliable
Compensation & Benefits
- $18-$22/hr compensation, depending on experience
- $200 clothing & equipment stipend
- End-of-Year profit sharing opportunity
- 30 minute paid lunch time included in wages
- A year-long membership with the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers
- PTO days equal to the length of your normal work week (ie. if you work 4 days/wk, 4 PTO days)
- Unpaid time off as-needed
- Worker’s comp & disability insurance
- Training in floral arranging
- Flowers to take home, most of the time 🙂
Please email Samantha (she/her) at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us why you’d like to join the team! We’d love to hear about any prior farming or flower experience that you have, as well as what you’d be hoping to get out of joining us. Please also include the names and numbers of 2 references. Thank you!